Sunday, February 28, 2010

India: Being Gay and Indian

I am 33. For the last few years, all my friends, colleagues and acquaintances have been asking just one thing, when am I going to get married. I tell them I was married, well almost, before my girlfriend dumped me and went to the US. I could never forget her. Such a sad love story! It's not true. It's not a lie either. It's fiction. I have constructed this heterosexual love story meticulously, bit by bit, to the last detail - the day I met her, the day we first kissed, the day she dumped me, everything.

No, I'm not in denial; I’m not in closet either. However, I see no point in confusing those who won't understand. On the other hand, people who are important to me, they know about me. The pictures on the walls of my flat are good tell-tale signs.

Yet, at 33, I’m terrified being a gay man, and knowing that this is my life. I live alone, far away from home. I have chosen a profession which gives me enough excuses not to visit home often. Whenever I do, my parents, relatives broach that inevitable subject: Marriage. I tell them, not yet, not yet. I need to settle down first. I have consciously avoided being 'successful,' so as to avoid the marriage business. But, as I keep adding numbers to my age, I know, I'm running short of excuses. I cannot tell my parents I’m gay. I cannot get married either.

Full Story from the Deccan Herald
Click here for gay marriage resources.
To subscribe to this blog, use the rss feed on the right, or use the form at right to join our email list. You can also email us at info@purpleunions.com. Or find us on Facebook - just search for Gay Marriage Watch (you'll see our b/w wedding pic overlooking the Ferry Building and Bay Bridge in SF). We're also tweeting daily at http://www.twitter.com/gaymarriagewatc.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home